Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Land o' cotton


well, I have ordered green, brown and red! Cotton seeds, of course. Not many people are aware that cotton can be grown to be other than white. White being the more commercially-desirable version, that's what we see out there, but there is a growing trend among the "organic" crowd to experiment with the "antique" plants which produce different colours. Pretty nifty. Furthermore, the colours get stronger when the stuff is washed. Double-nifty.
So far, I have only spun wool, but, once I get this stuff up and picked I guess I will learn to spin cotton. I was also thinking that it would make a lovely "flower arrangement."
Now, this is all assuming that I can get it to grow. I have never raised cotton, but, hey, I come from a long line of cotton-farmers, so, hopefully, I have a genetic disposition for it. Hopefully.
I cannot WAIT to get out there and get the garden ready to go!
In the meantime, here's my favourite spot to order the spun versions:
http://chamomileconnection.com/
the photo is from my seed source, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange:
http://tinyurl.com/d7y4r8 Go have a look.
BTW, I cannot recommend "tinyurl.com" enough. It reduces long, unwieldy URL's to manageable size and I have found them to be 100% reliable.

No comments: