Thursday, December 17, 2009

Old friend gets dusted off!

Well, not too much dust, since I keep the looms covered when not in use. I am threading up the Macomber to do some towels. Such a treat to be back to one-on-one with that loom. There is nothing like the feel and sound of Macombers! They're so solid and work so smoothly and reliably. I DO have to say that I am not a fan of the tie-up system, but that's just a quibble, since I can't think of anything that would replace it. Macombers, being built so that you can either do delicate, fine yarns, or wham away at the thickest of rugs if you like, need the extra strength involved in the way the lamms and shafts are engineered, so, whatever my quibbles, the tie-up system is still 'way ahead of whatever would be in second-place.
I remember trying to make a rag rug on my Schacht, which was my first loom and having to "sandbag" the thing to keep it from "levitating" across the floor a couple of inches every time I whammed down the beater!!
If you are looking for a truly great all-purpose loom, you can't do any better, and there are second-hand ones out there at great prices these days. I paid all of $1000 for mine,: 48" with 8 shafts and two beams...plus room for two more shafts. Not bad at all. The "Baby Macs" are a great deal, even new, and easily packed up to take along to workshops etc. I like to take mine out to the back porch on nice days and weave outside! Also a very solid loom!
Well, guess this is a "mash note" to my Macombers!

2 comments:

Restless Knitter said...

I agree. I bought a used Macomber 40 inch 12 shafts 2 beams (1 is sectional) for $140! I love that loom. It's easier for me to treadle it than my smaller looms with front hinges. I like that I can do light or heavy work on it, which can't be said for my others.

sarah haskell said...

Sweet words and so true. it never ceases to amaze me that after 40 years of weaving and several looms, my Macombers are still my favorites. I have owned my 56" 16H since graduating from RISD in 1976. It has been beefed up and brought into the new millennium, but still works like a champ. Thanks for sharing your love! Sarah
www.MacomberLoomsandme.blogspot.com