Monday, March 3, 2014

Angels among us

Working on drafts for taqueté angels. I used to use Lillian Whipple's lovely cards of a little woven angel, framed, as special gifts to mark a milestone or help somebody thru a rough time, but, it seems I got the last five. Decided it was time to "roll my own" I'm really happy with the first design, a blue-robed angel holding a candle, for 16 shafts. Working on a 24-shaft design with some colour-mixing.
Picture to come.  I had worked on the first "export fabric" in "Preview" and find that it saves changes whether you want it to or not, so, the angel has a "cartoon bubble" sitting there that I "added" just to see what that tool does.  SO, have to go back to scratch. 
And..a few mouse-clicks later, here is her tiny self.  Might do some bookmarks.  This is the 16-shaft version. 
It will be fun to do the sampling for this on the 16-shaft Structo!  It's the time I get to use some of those many spools I own of the cotton!  I have about 60 of the things..(no, they're not for sale.  I sold a few a while back because I felt kind of like the "dog in the manger," but, that's it for now!  If you're desperate, we can talk.)
16-SHAFT
I am been doing my taqueté drafting in Weavemaker, which I find terrific for free-hand designing as you can get a real-time version as "fabric view," that is more true to the appearance of the finished fabric than the other programmes (I have them all...except the really pricey "Arahweave") The cool thing about the WM "view" is that you can export the fabric as a tiff. I open it in PS (or "PS Elements," which is all you really need for this). First, change the mode to RGB, then use the "blur" filtre two or three times and you get a richer colour. You can also use the other editing tools for the colours, but I find the "blur" does it for me. The advantage of this is that you see the image as a graphic-design and immediately see what's wrong or right about it and you can go back into the draft and change it. I keep a folder called "scratch" to save these so I can see how the changes are happening.
24-SHAFT

5 comments:

Dušan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy C said...

the software I have now is quite adequate, and Arahweave is far too expensive.
I am NOT a "hobbyist" studied at FIT and have worked in the industry. I weave to sell, and, while I do love doing it, not to amuse myself with an interesting passtime.

Dušan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy C said...

You really don't have my permission to get onto my blogspot and "bash" ME because I disagree with you....I do, infact, "understand" Arahweave quite well. I worked in the 7th avenue industry for several years and got my training at FIT. You have to admit, $1000 is pretty pricey for somebody on the sort of income generated by a small studio.
In future, kindly stay away from my blog...you haven't the right to insult me publicly.

Nancy C said...

Having brought these posts to the attention of "arahweave" I am leaving them up long enough for the registered rep to have a look. I am not sure if this person is a sales-rep for the company...if he is, he needs a courtesy/attitude check.
Once I have had their response, they are coming down as will any future communications from this person.